Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Live or Die...


murder
"the crime of unlawfully killing a person especially with malice aforethought" - Merriam-Webster's Dictionary

Is abortion murder if it was decided long in advance? Does the principle change with circumstance? Is euthanasic abortion more justifiable than abortion for the sake of the mother? Or vice versa?

Lately, the topic of abortion has been dramatically resurfacing in certain circles. This issue, of course, has always been, but has never definitively been concluded. After consuming a myriad of perspectives, I felt compelled to, finally, shout my own.

In my humble opinion, the issue of abortion is personal and relative; personal as in not public and relative as in not absolute. Reason being, this isn't an open-shut case and should never be treated as such, nor publicly rallied or decided by vox popli. I think if I were to decide in favor of abortions being prohibited, it would be from a jaded and biased perspective. I do not condone murder of any sort, however, I'm equally opposed random individuals exercising jurisdiction over anyone else's life. I think, if anything, the best medium would be legalized abortion under circumstantial limitations, i.e. the conditions of the conception, the age and health of the mother, how far along she is, etc.

Ostensibly, I'm not an advocate of abortion; however, if a young girl is impregnated through rape and cannot physically handle giving birth, I don't think my opinion --and like others-- should be deemed as sufficient grounds to prohibit her from aborting if she chooses to. Principally, to take another life is wrong, by my perspective. Comparatively, I'm lenient to understanding circumstance. I cannot honestly say that every type of wrong should be regarded equally regardless of circumstance. .

In another dynamic, my discord with random abortion stands. With the way science and medicine are disseminating, I refuse to believe that there are any excuses for irresponsible behavior. Voluntary sexual intercourse resulting in pregnancy is a preconcieved consequence that inconveniently actualized itself, not an act of serendipity. Above, I expressed sympathy toward pregnant victims of involuntary, heinous acts, and favor them as abortion candidates if such is their choice. I do not, however, extend the same leniency to "accidentally" pregnant women, unless, of course, they had somehow been introduced to sex, but had never really heard of reproduction.

In the end, "to each his own." I wouldn't go so far as to conclude that abortion should be obliterated, however, it should be used with tremendous discretion. Bottom line: be honest. If a person is growing inside of you, don't discredit his/her life. At least acknowlege that as long as you are living, breathing, this organism is growing; when you die, he/she stops growing, and eventually dies with you. If you're going to do it, own it. Don't abort under the guise of a lie. It is a baby, it is real, and it didn't just happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment